Welcome, Snowy Community,
In this month's flow, 1.3;
* Top 3 Fitness Myth's.
* How to maintain your best hydration balance.
* Is bread really that bad for you!
* Why, really, would you take a 'dose' of exercise!
* Case Study; 3 Snowy Folks/ 30 Day Challenge - FYI.
Then, check out our Snowy Star of the Month! Giddy up Cowboy!
And, in this month's Group theme Project - 15 Superfoods/ 15 Recipes.
- 15 meals, super simple to make, super healthy, & super tasty.
Your Events Calendar features Snowy Herd times & dates.
Top 3 Fitness Myths
Of the many media driven false claims, I've listed my top 3 and why they made the list.
1. EXERCISING 'HARD' LOSES WEIGHT!
I've found only 5% drive fat loss from 'harder' exercise, only. Mostly, hard training fat loss will occur
What is hard?
2. HEADSPACE (free + pro$) - This is the world leader in Guided Meditation. It drives mindfulness exercises allowing the tracking of progress.
3. CALM (free +pro$) - Apple App of the year. Meditation training, Sleep stories, and an awesome 'breathing exercises' feature.
4. STOP, BREATH, THINK ($4.99) - I'm told the feature on positive thinking and stress management is brilliant.
5. ATHLETE MINDER (free) - My daughter, involved in a national elite sport program, is required to log, daily, her collective health status. Based on her personal assessment the app offers future & fitting training & nutritional direction.
All, free, apps can be found at: itunes & googleplay. Please contact me if you need help.
The only dietary supplement worth recommending.
The global dietary supplement market turns over 57 billion a year! It's massive! And, with such patronage, you'd hope 'all' products sold drive the heavily promoted 'health' result. Escalating 'poor' global health statistics suggest perhaps many of these products are not driving the advertised results.
Based on my 30 years of trial and assessment, observation and research, the following is my opinion on dietary supplementation.
Regardless of one's 'poor' lifestyle choices, I just haven't seen enough evidence supporting 'the advertised' value. I mean, it coud be that one's health has improved, however, it's difficult measuring success.
Now then, the only supplement, supporting a well rounded whole diet, in my opinion, is the following;
I've found, leafy grass extracts undoubtedly help gut health, immune strength and fat burning metabolism. I've used, daily, both; Supergreens & Vital Greens (both bought in Woolies & Coles) for 10 years. I've rarely suffered a cold since, rarely manage gut challenges, and, find my exercise & dietary choices are well supported in driving my ideal fat metabolism.
Indemnity: Now, I want to make clear the 1 tpsn into boiling a night smells, looks, and tastes ghastly. The problem is, it works!
Top 5 Foods you should never eat!
While this list is largely speculative, it’s based on the opinion of many well-respected health experts.
5. Processed Meat – yep, when ‘meat' is smoked, canned, packed, cured or salted, lab-designed chemicals are usually required. These additives (colours, flavours, and aroma’s), along with preservatives, are foreign to our healthy gut function. Avoid mass-produced snags, hot dogs, and packet sandwich meats. ‘Real’ meat cuts are of course a good choice.
4. Gluten-free ‘unreal’ food – with the gluten-bash revolution came shelves and shelves of food branded 'gluten-free'. 'Gluten-free' does make food healthy. On the contrary, much food free of gluten required loads of weird and wonderful chemicals to make it ‘work’. Enter; erratic gut health and blood sugar balance. Genuine Coeliac suffers know that fruit, veggies, meat, fish, do not contain gluten.
3. Industrialised Vegetable Oil – While I am not qualified to comment on the alleged link with cancers, I do know excessive omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids can lead to cardiovascular disease. Also, 'cheaper' cooking oils can contain LDL (bad cholesterol) trans fat. Best go for extra virgin olive oil and moderated coconut oil.
2. Soft Drink - all of them, including 'healthy' mineral & vitamin water. We should all know by now refined sugar drives insulin, which, drives, among many things, body fat (for many). For mine, it’s the absence of natural toxins which let your brain & appetite know, ‘STOP’ you’ve had enough. Some experts say beer is less challenging to our continued good health than soft drinks. Yikes!
1. Alcohol Energy Drinks - Other than transfats, AED's tick every box. They blow blood sugar out of the park, throw gut health into turmoil, and the liver is sent into working OT. Seriously, I can’t believe this rubbish is still legal. Whatever happened to enjoying a beer or wine!
The best exercise we forgot!
If you're reading this, while you may not remember, here's how you started your physical life.
You learnt to roll - engaging your side muscles.
You learnt to sit up - firing up your tummy, neck, shoulders & lower back muscles.
Then, you crawled - this brought in your hips, shoulders & arms.
Bingo, next you stood (supported) - your nerves in your feet, knees, and back sparked up.
THEN, YOU 'SQUATTED' - yep, before taking a step, you squatted. This was critical for developing your leg, hip, tummy, and back strength.
Then, away you went.
**Without the squats, walking, running, spinting, jumping would not have been possible**
Try 3 x 12 Squats daily (10 sec rest between sets); Weight free/ Then with increasing weights.
You feel functionally younger in a week!